Cable types and area of application
- Cable types
All existing types of electric cables and wires are pided into several large categories:
- Communication (telephonic, computer, radio frequency etc.);
- Signal and block system.
In each of these categories, there are many types of cable and wire products, identified by special markings. Structurally, cables and wires differ in the overall parameters of the conductive wires and the material from which they are made, the type of sheath and external protective cover, the design of the armor (if provided), and other criteria that determine the application of the products and the conditions of their use.
All types of electric cable and decoding of their models are inpidual for each inpidual category of products.
Power type of cables
This type of cable products is used to solve the problems of transporting electricity over short and long distances. The most important physical parameters of power cables are voltage and current load (permissible value of the transmitted current).
Here are some types of power cables and their applications:
- PVC-insulated-PVC jacket-bare conductor. Designed for operation in electrical networks of alternating (up to 6 kV frequency up to 50 Hz) and constant (up to 3 kV) voltage. It is used for the stationary distribution of electricity inside buildings (outside buildings, if it is protected from UV rays), and for connecting various stationary industrial electrical equipment of medium power.
- PVC insulation-armor made of galvanized steel tapes-without a pillow under the armor-PVC protective hose. These types of cables are used for the same voltage and have the same field of application as PVC-insulated-PVC jacket-bare conductor, however, due to the presence of armor (two steel tapes) they can be used for direct laying in the ground with normal soil.
- PVC-insulated-PVC jacket-Flexible Cable. A cable of this type in its parameters meets to a PVC-insulated-PVC jacket-bare conductor cable, but due to a flexible core, connections can be used to the electrical networks of mobile machines and mechanisms.
- Cable for powering submersible motors-insulation from radiation-modified polyethylene-sheath from the compositions of the block co polymer of polypropylene with ethylene-steel galvanized tape-flat. Cables for special purposes, which are designed to power electric motors of oil-producing plants with voltage up to 4 kV and frequency up to 70 Hz.
Communication cable and wire
This category of electric cables and wires includes a wide variety of cable and wire products. Products are used to transmit analogгу or digital signals through a metal conductor or in an optical medium (hard plastic clad fiber).
Common types of electrical cables and their marking:
- Symmetrical. This group is represented by communication cables having one or more symmetric pairs, triples or fours. The most common types are UTP 1PR, High Frequency- Pair Twisted cable for local computer networks. They are used to transmit digital and analog signals, usually over short distances (up to 305 meters). However, long-distance signal transmissions using trunk communication cables can be used.
- Coaxial cable. It is used to build communication systems (television, broadcasting), signaling and automation, antenna-feeder and other systems. Depending on the purpose of the cable, in addition to the main core and the screen, auxiliary wires can also be placed in a single sheath. For example, the Cable-For video surveillance systems-Combined-General sheath made of PVC compound brand used to build video surveillance systems has an additional pair of wires for transmitting power to the devices.
- Telephone cables and wires. Used to build a hydraulic structures or connect telephones (and other communication equipment) inside and outside buildings. Example –Cord-Telephone-Flat-Linear /Telephone-For radio-Polyethylene insulation / cord-flexible-shielded-connecting.
- Optic cable. Mainly used to transmit digital information over long distances. Examples —center tube design-for laying in special pipes-optical cable (for laying in the ground), center tube design-for suspension, with a supporting force element in the form-optical cable (aerial), Optical cable-for suspension, with aramid load-bearing element-for connecting stationary current collectors and mechanisms (internal layout).
Cable products of this type are most often used for transporting analog signals to moving and / or fixed actuating units and mechanisms, electrical appliances, etc.
- PVC-insulated-PVC jacket-bare conductor-control cable- Used to connect fixed installations and electrical equipment operating in AC networks with a frequency of up to 100 Hz or DC.
- Cable-Flexible-Polyvinyl chloride compound core insulation-Shielded-Sheath made of PVC compound- Serves to control movable mechanisms and equipment, as well as under the influence of electromagnetic fields.
These types of electric cables are used to control stationary and non-stationary low-power mechanisms and electrical equipment used in construction, industrial, agricultural, and other fields (most often used to control electric motors).
Common brands and the use of electric cables of this type:
- Cable-Operation and control-Polyethylene core insulation-Screen in the form of a braid or winding of copper wire-Sheath made of PVC compound. Used in networks up to 250 V and frequency up to 1000 Hz. They are used to control various construction and production equipment.
- Control cable-flexible-PVC compound insulation-PVC plastic sheath. Flexible conductor control cables. Used to power fixed and mobile electrical installations. It is also possible to use it for domestic purposes (for example, to control automatic gates).
Mounting cables and wires
These types of electric cables and wires are used to combine electrical distribution devices into a single electric circuit, connect electrical equipment and industrial electrical installations, and connect electrical appliances inside aircraft and special equipment, build autonomous power supply systems and for other purposes.
Examples of such cables: For on-board communications-Rolling stock-Insulation of PVC compound-Braid from antiseptic twisted cotton yarn or a combined braid from antiseptic twisted cotton yarn and synthetic threads coated with ethyl cellulose or nitro varnish (a wire board mounting), Installation cable- Protective hose from PVC compound; installation cable - cross-linked polyolefin insulation - common screen from copper wires - armor from steel galvanized strips - outer hose made of low-flammability PVC compound - does not spread combustion during group laying in category A, control cable - PVC compound insulation - PVC compound protection hose - common screen made of tinned copper wires.
Signal and block system
Cables and wires of this category are for the construction of fire and / or burglar alarm systems. Their main task is the transmission of electrical signals from analog and digital sensors of smoke, movement, temperature, etc.
Cables are also used to supply power to light and sound alarms, direction indicators (for quick evacuation of people during a fire), automatic fire extinguishing devices and other devices. Common types of electrical cables and their marking: Cable-Fire-Alarms-Insulation of PVC compound of low fire hazard with low smoke and gas emissions-Sheath of PVC compound of low fire hazard with low smoke and gas emissions- Performance category regarding fire safety indicators, signal cable - insulation of PVC compound - sheath of PVC compound of low combustibility - flame retardant for group laying in category A, cable for fire protection systems - insulation from glass-mica tape applied over conductive conductors and PVC compositions - common screen made of aluminum-lavsan tape with a contact conductor of tinned copper wire-sheath made of PVC plastic - does not spread combustion according to category A-fire-resistant - low smoke and smoke and gas evolution during combustion and decay etc.
Alarm and Interlock Cables
This type of cable is used to control electrical mechanisms located in the open air. Most often used for laying along city and federal railways to regulate the operation of arrows, signaling devices, traffic lights. They are also used, for example, to control barriers in car parks.
Interlock cables, as well as previous types, can be used in security and fire alarm systems. The main difference between this cable product is its design, which allows laying cables in the ground, in the open air, in aggressive environments. Examples: Cable for signaling and blocking — sheath made of low-flammability PVC compound — armor made of galvanized steel tapes — without cushion — protective hose made of low-flammability PVC compound — does not spread combustion during group laying in category A; signal-blocking cable - core insulation and sheath made of PVC compound - Lack of protective covers - screen made of aluminum tape - do not spread combustion during group laying in category A, Signal-blocking-Hydrophobic filling-Insulation of conductors made of polyethylene-Aluminum sheath-Protective cover in the form of a hose which made of polyethylene; Signal-blocking - Multi-wire conductive core - Water-blocking materials - Reinforced aluminum sheath - Armor from two steel tapes - There is a protective polyethylene hose in the pillow under the armor - A protective cover in the form of a polyethylene hose etc.